1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

DR METZ'S STRATEGIC VIEWS ON RECOVERY

1. Grant62

4,791 posts.
    Story published this morning (17/07/02) by OZ EQUITIES, quoting Dr Metz, CIBC Oppenheimer's chief investment strategist, and a member of Barron's Round Table community.

DR METZ: A VERY SHARP RALLY MAY START WITHIN A DAY OR TWO
    By Jenny Prabhu

CIBC Oppenheimer chief investment strategist Dr Michael Metz said this morning he expected a very powerful rally to start within the next day or two that will go on for a while before the market begins to fall back again.

Dr Metz said, "What you have here is the kind of extreme volatility you get at turning points (but) I don't think you have got a new bull market."

He said the market at present is dominated by individuals who are terrified and hedge fund money of some half trillion dollars that can be leveraged into several trillion.

The hedge funds are looking to play the market and the rally will be very sharp and very strong.

He added, "Then that will be it for the rest of the summer. My feeling is what you have now is a higher risk premium and lower price earning ratios. My own feeling is that the support from the economy that came from the consumer is weakening. There will be a slow down in growth for the next few years. Net net we are at the bottom".

Dr Metz said that while the Euro has reached parity with the US dollar very quickly, there will continue to be a real bull market in the Euro and a bear market in the US dollar. "The direction of the Euro will be up for the next year or two".

He also believes the $A will go higher the economist said a lot of capital will be moving towards the politically safer areas in Asia and Australia will be a beneficiary.

Dr Metz added, "One thing to note which I find a little disturbing is huge increases (in prices) in some of the soft commodities such as cocoa and grains. We can very well see inflation in the food sector". This is in addition to the current inflation in the housing and other sectors.

Dr Metz confirmed that he expects an inflation scare later in the year in the US.

Investor preferences are going to shift, including some representation in gold, with inflation to help the gold price, along with the shift in asset allocations, the economist said.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.