Pintohoo - I hope you don't think I really 'killed a dog' - I do...

1. 17,690 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 140
    Pintohoo - I hope you don't think I really 'killed a dog' - I do love almost all animals, even had a tiny snake lying across the path last year and I thought it was a piece of very smooth, rubber or belt, until I saw it had eyes - I left it to slink away.
    Two of my 'kids' (women now) are vegetarian, well they do eat some fish and one allows her child a choice. I am not, grew up with too much real hunger and little meat - it was mostly dried lentils, beans and dried peas for a few years after the war.

I am reading a history book atm and apparently the Greek mathematician Pythagoras was a vegetarian (but had strange ideas about 'beans'); he actually said something along the lines; we won't stop killing one another until we stop killing and eating animals. He even changed the prescribed meat sacrifice to some goddess or other by creating something out of flowers and herbs and burning that.

Cruelty? I have a theory here too, if life is hard, difficult, if you are constantly pushed to the bottom of the heap, if you have too many 'religious' restrictions (forbidden this, forbidden that) some people (mostly men, but women too) develop aggressions - often there is no other way to allow those aggressions to evaporate but to kick, hurt something less powerful; sometimes the wife, often the children and animals; especially, because 'we are the Lords of Creation' - even the Bible and the Old Testament state that everything is to be dominated by us, or rather given to man to dominate and use.

In our society there is a worrisome trend to idolize violence in games on TV, in movies (I watched a bit of 'RomperStomper' last night on David Stratton's show - I must say I did like the movie, confronting as it was, but it made you think), but often it is the people who either come from completely dysfunctional backgrounds (one of the killers of that nurse in Sydney 24 years ago was such a guy; apparently he tortured and tormented animals and his 'friends' knew) - or through violence in the home growing up, on the streets, petrol-sniffing - the brain hasn't developed completely or well and these people feel no pity, they don't know what that emotion is. I remember that story so well, because the father of the nurse (Anita Cobby) had 'forgiven' the murderers and there was a long session on ABC Radio where he explained - I don't think I could 'forgive'.

Back to 'dog-eating' - most Swiss I have met are modern, sophisticated people, their restaurants and hotels are legend - so, no I don't believe that story at all, except maybe some weirdos in the 'outback' but even the wilder regions of Switzerland are now tourist country and many a former stable has been turned into a disco.
    Taurisk

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.