BHP $32.74

DIV

1. Michaelirish

19,556 Posts.
    Three things about the DIV

1) it is about 5.2% FF
    (2) Quoted in US dollars
    (3) Well paid while waiting for supply to drop off

"Shares of BHP Billiton Limited (ASX: BHP) have received a boost today despite a heavy fall in the iron ore price on Friday.
    According to The Metal Bulletin Ltd, iron ore crashed 1.68% to just US$62.21 per dry metric tonne – an alarming 54% below its US$135 price tag at the beginning of last year. Given that iron ore accounts for the largest portion of BHP Billiton’s earnings, you’d be excused for questioning why the miner rose so strongly. After all, Rio Tinto Limited (ASX: RIO) retreated by 0.2% while Fortescue Metals Group Limited (ASX: FMG) crashed 1.7% following the news.
    However, BHP Billiton is a diversified miner with a heavy focus on coal, copper and petroleum in addition to its iron ore operations. The price of oil (which accounts for the second largest portion of the miner’s earnings) surged nearly 8% on Friday after data from Baker Hughes revealed a massive decline in the number of rigs drilling for oil in the U.S., easing oversupply concerns.
    BHP Billiton’s shares rose as much as 2.2%, heavily outpacing the gains made by theS&P/ASX 200 (Index: ^AXJO) (ASX: XJO), to hit a $29.88 intraday high. At that price, the stock is tipped to yield a very tempting 5.2% (fully franked) this financial year – a yield almost unheard of from a miner.
    Given that BHP Billiton quotes its dividend in US dollar terms the yield may increase if the Australian dollar falls any further. I bet you didn’t know that about BHP Billiton’s dividend!
    Despite the attractive yield, BHP remains a risky prospect with commodity prices tipped to fall over the course of 2015. The Motley Fool's top analyst has uncovered another dividend stock which it believes is a far better buy right now.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.