Having a autistic nephew some of you need to understand autism...

1. 9,014 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 16891
    Having a autistic nephew some of you need to understand autism as it has different spheres and levels, Reading this thread it seems too me many of you associate autism with Rainman (the Dustin Hoffman flick). Yes Aspergers can go to normal schools but severely autistic kids, like my nephew, just cannot go to a normal school because his level of intellect would make him the subject of bullying/harassment and the butt of jokes (it is how kids are) and to be blunt the best I can hope for my nephew is that he may be able to get himself a manual job of some type and stay under the radar (that is the best the family can see for him).

My nephew goes to a special needs school btw and will probably go to a special needs High school as well - there he learn't to talk and he didn't talk until well after 6 years old btw and his basic language skills remain basic. He will progress but putting him in a normal school would not be fair to him and all others - simple as that. If any of you lived knowing someone who has a son with severe autism, not aspergers, like my sister-in-law, well you might have a different view when you encounter the different scales in autism. Some can go to normal schools, others cannot, but the education system hasn't enough special needs schools IMO.

At some level PH is correct, but it does depend on the spectrum of autism for the child.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.