1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

Daytrading Feb 3 afternoon

1. highlandlad

8,243 Posts.

Thanks Brit and morning regulars.

Half-time round-up:

Shares touched a five-month high this morning before caution set in ahead of this afternoon's Reserve Bank cash rate decision.

At lunchtime the ASX 200 was 11 points or 0.2% higher at 5636 after earlier hitting 5666, the index's highest point since early September. Energy and yield sectors were once again the main drivers of the rally, with energy up 1.8%, utilities 1.8%, property trusts 1.2% and consumer staples 1%.

Positive trade and construction data further muddied the waters for the RBA's decision-makers ahead of today's 2.30pm EST rate statement. The trade deficit more than halved to $436 million in December from $925 million the previous month, well below the $850 million gap expected by economists. Building approvals declined less than expected over the same month following a 7.5% jump in November. Approvals eased by 3.3%, versus a predicted drop of 5%.

US equity futures pulled back during a mixed morning in Asia . Dow futures were recently off 29 points or almost 0.2%. China's Shanghai Composite advanced 0.9%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng added 0.16% and Japan's Nikkei dipped 0.13%.

Crude oil futures cents rose another 60 cents this morning to US$50.07 a barrel. Spot gold was $4 lower at US$1,275.20 an ounce. The dollar was buying 78.2 US cents.

This morning was one of those fairly rare occasions when the market does exactly what the set-up says it should. Played out pretty much to perfection. Traders had about an hour at the peak to switch from long to short. Almost makes me wish I still traded the index. Trading: slim pickings for pullbacks, but I eventually had a quick toke on PYL when it got under 35 cents. It's not the sort of joint you want to bogart, so I passed it over to the next trader, cause he sure would like a hit (NB: obscure drug/music reference unlikely to mean anything to anyone under the age of 60). QAN also offered a quick trade opportunity from $2.34/35.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.