1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

Daytrading Feb 16 afternoon

1. highlandlad

8,243 Posts.

Thanks Beany and morning regulars.

Half-time round-up:

Australian shares tracked sideways this morning as tonight's US public holiday and a lack of progress in Greece's debt negotiations stifled risk appetite.

At lunchtime the ASX 200 was unchanged at 5877 following a V-shaped morning where the index swung as low as 5842 and as high as 5893. Gains in energy +0.6%, metals & mining +0.6% and materials +0.5% were balanced by falls in property trusts -1.7%, gold -1% and utilities -0.5%.

Investors appeared reluctant to add to positions ahead of tonight's meeting of euro-zone finance ministers in Brussels to discuss Greece's debt crisis. Negotiations continued over the weekend to bridge the gap between the new Greek government's mandate to "end austerity" and its lenders' demands that the nation honour the terms of its loans.

“We’re looking at difficult negotiations on Monday,” Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras told Germany’s Stern magazine. “Nevertheless, I’m full of confidence.” Read more here.

China's Shanghai Composite put 0.12%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng 0.3% and Japan's Nikkei 0.72%. Dow futures were recently off 15 points or less than 0.1% ahead of tonight's President's Day public holiday.

Crude oil futures surged $1.62 or 3.2% this morning to US$52.83 a barrel. Spot gold was $2.80 stronger at US$1,230.70 an ounce. The dollar was buying 77.8 US cents.

Oil is on a tear. Rising for a third day. Bottom appears to be well and truly in, as signalled by the bounce in share prices several weeks ago. Iron ore starting to look interesting - can't remember the last time the spot price rallied three days in a row but it would be months rather than weeks or days. Trading: one of those sessions where there were fireworks for the first half hour and then... not much. MBN provided much of the excitement, but there were also bounce opportunities in PFL, MBE and CLQ. Only nailed one of those. Couple of other small positions in tiddlers.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.