1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

Crocodile attack

1. arthur

7,397 posts.

Find it very hard to understand why people do this after all the sign posting that has been done in the North,

I have camped in the north near billabongs and rivers ,and they even look ominous ,

I am always very cautious

Tourist's body found after croc attack

Northern Territory authorities have recovered the body of a tourist attacked by a saltwater crocodile in Kakadu national park overnight.

The 24-year-old German tourist was taken by a crocodile while swimming with other travellers in Sandy Billabong, east of the Kakadu Highway near Nourlangie Rock.

Police commander Max Pope says a four-metre saltwater croc was harpooned in the area early this morning.

"The wildlife rangers managed to harpoon what was a 13-foot crocodile," he said.

"At that time it had the deceased person with it.

"I'm unsure whether the crocodile has been captured since the harpooning, but the harpooning caused the croc to let go of what he had."

Police say the woman was swimming with eight other people from a tour group at about 11:30pm ACST.

They say the group was about 10 metres from the shore in two metres of water.

Earlier, commander Pope told commercial radio he can not understand why warning signs were ignored.

"There are signs at the billabong saying don't swim, there are crocodiles there," commander Pope said.

"But I guess you've got to look at the scene: it would've been ideal to go out there last night, there would've been a full moon over the water, it would've been fairly warm temperatures, it would've been inviting.

"I think that perhaps common sense was pushed over by these factors and they took a risk they shouldn't have taken," he said.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.