1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

crackdown on terror threat

  1. mike68

    11,100 Posts.

    Tony Abbott signals crackdown on borders amid terror threat

    Terror suspects, Mohammad Kiad and Omar al-Kutobi. Source: Supplied
    TONY Abbott has signalled a major crackdown on border control amid growing concerns about the threat of terrorism attacks on Australian soil.
    The Prime Minister, who will deliver a national security statement on Monday week, said the rise of Islamic State had seen new threats emerge, “where any extremist can grab a knife, a flag, a camera phone and a victim and carry out a terror attack”.
    Authorities on Friday confirmed police and a prayer hall were among targets uncovered by investigations into two alleged terrorists arrested in western Sydney last week.
    A number of items were allegedly seized from the home of Omar Al-Kutobi, 24, and Mohammad Kiad, 25, including a machete, hunting knife and homemade Islamic State flag, as well as a video which allegedly shows one of the men vowing to launch an attack in the name of IS.
    Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
    End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
    Both men have been charged with terrorism offences.
    Al-Kutobi, from Iraq, is believed to have arrived in Australia in 2009 using another person’s passport, and was given a protection visa before being granted citizenship in 2013.
    Kiad entered Australia in 2012.
    “It’s clear to me, that for too long, we have given those who might be a threat to our country the benefit of the doubt,” Mr Abbott said in a statement on Sunday.
    “There’s been the benefit of the doubt at our borders, the benefit of the doubt for residency, the benefit of the doubt for citizenship and the benefit of the doubt at Centrelink. And in the courts, there has been bail, when clearly there should have been jail.” “We are a free and fair nation. But that doesn’t mean we should let bad people play us for mugs, and all too often they have: Well, that’s going to stop.” Mr Abbott said the government was responding to the terror threat in Australia and abroad.
    He said a review undertaken by state and commonwealth governments into the deadly Lindt cafe siege in Sydney’s Martin Place would be released soon.
    “We are both determined to learn the lessons of this attack and will promptly take any necessary remedial action.”

    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-...id-terror-threat/story-fnpdbcmu-1227220458663

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Top

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.


HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.