1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers
FAR 12.0¢

conocophillips has several promising exploration prospects

  1. ksingh

    736 Posts.
    82
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/2906906-conocophillips-has-several-promising-exploration-prospects

    Feb. 11, 2015 11:40 AM

    Summary

    ...

    Last year, ConocoPhillips announced two discoveries off the coast of Senegal in western Africa which could end up yielding hundreds of millions of barrels of oil.

    Finding new resources to develop is crucial to ConocoPhillips' long-term plan to reward investors, even if oil prices are low right now.


    ...

    Senegal

    Senegal is a small country in western Africa that could be loaded with crude. In 2014, ConocoPhillips announced two oil discoveries off the coast of Senegal, one in October, and one in November. The company holds a 35% interest in both the SNE-1 and FAN-1 wells, and has the right to become the operator if appraisal drilling uncovers economical amounts of hydrocarbons. Both wells were drilled in the Sangomar Deep block, roughly 60 miles off of Senegal's coast.

    If appraisal efforts are successful, ConocoPhillips and its partners will have to decide if they want to proceed with development. Cairn Energy is the operator of both wells, and estimates that both the FAN-1 and SNE-1 wells are sitting on significant amounts of oil. According to Cairn Energy, there is a 90% chance that the FAN-1 and SNE-1 wells found 250 million and 150 million barrels of oil initially in place, respectively. Keep in mind that only a fraction of that will be recovered, but it's a very good start. On the very bullish end of things, there is a 10% chance that the FAN-1 and SNE-1 wells are sitting on 2.5 billion and 670 million barrels of oil in place, respectively.


    Source: Cairn Energy
    Final Thoughts

    In a world with low oil prices, it can be hard to get excited over new discoveries. These prospects cost a lot of money to find, much more to develop, and won't yield commercial levels of production for years. However, ConocoPhillips has to look past the current pricing slump to be able to grow its future sources of production growth.

    A major discovery in Newfoundland-Labrador or Senegal might move ConocoPhillips' stock a little, but the future cash flow ConocoPhillips would reap by developing those discoveries is really what's important.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Top

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.


HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.