SAS 0.00% 1.6¢ sky and space company ltd

Catastrophic space junk collisions.......

1. 487 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 13
    CATASTOPHIC SPACE JUNK COLLISIONS....

Most would be aware of this scenario....gets a mention in the media now and then. Nano/Micro satellites may be more beneficial than larger sized satellites. I recall reading about a 'self destruct' capability that can now be installed into satellites prior to launch. Would be good to know if SAS has embraced simular technology that mitigates contributing to a future problem ......

Looking forward to launch.
    GLTA

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-...k-collision-inevitable-without-action/8573808
    Catastrophic space junk collision 'inevitable' without action, scientists warn

By Jake Evans
    Updated about 4 hours agoWed 31 May 2017, 6:13am
    Photo: Satellites like the International Space Station could be at risk unless scientists take urgent action. (Supplied: NASA)
    Related Story: Dr Karl: How do you clean up space junk?
    Related Story: Why space junk is coming back to bite us

Map: Canberra 2600
    A catastrophic space junk collision that would render the upper reaches of the atmosphere unusable is not a matter of if, but when, space environment experts have warned.
    Space Environment Research Centre CEO Ben Greene said a lack of data on junk in orbit was "endangering access to space".
    "There is so much debris that it is colliding with itself, and creating more debris. A catastrophic avalanche of collisions which could quickly destroy all orbiting satellites is now possible," Dr Greene said.
    Currently only 22,000 of the estimated 170 million pieces of debris in orbit are being tracked.
    Play (1.1 MB)
    GIF: Films like Gravity illustrate the dange space junk poses.

Researchers from across the globe are meeting in Canberra today to try to solve the problem, and develop a model to manage space traffic.
    Professor Moribah Jah, a world leader on space debris from the University of Texas, said the threat was growing as it became easier for companies to launch objects into orbit.
    He said like drones, the market had exploded.
    "The availability of drones in people's hands has outpaced the Government's ability to really regulate these things — I think we are facing the possibility of that with space," Professor Jah said.
    Professor Jah said without action, a catastrophic collision was "inevitable".
    "I believe that we are certainly on a path to what I call a tragedy of the commons," he said.
    'Space traffic' emerging as a problem

The issue that stands before the gathering of experts at Mt Stromlo is a lack of data about how the millions of pieces of junk are moving through space.
    Without that knowledge, satellites like the International Space Station risk a collision that could cause a cascade of further collisions.
    Professor Jah said the lack of understanding was causing congestion.
    "You've driven on the roads here when you have a lot of mist or fog, and you have to go really slow, and you just don't know what's really around you. That's the perfect analogy to space right now," he said.
    Currently all space junk is classified the same way, even though it differs in size, material and shape.
    Photo: Hole in NASA Solarmax equipment caused by space junk. (Supplied: NASA)

Professor Jah said it was like comparing a semi-trailer to a scooter.
    "We need a classification scheme for things in space ... to manage that traffic," he said.
    "It's definitely not a chicken little, sky is falling, panic, panic, panic moment, [but] if we do nothing at all, we're certainly on a bad path of not being able to use space in a way that we can do so now quite freely."

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SAS (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.