1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

buying the big moving stocks

1. What have the following stocks got in common, stocks that I traded in the last financial year, that enabled me to outperform the market and most fund managers by 21% in real terms in the last financial year.?

WWA (Wridgeways Transport) --------------------82.7% realised net profit in 5 months (was up 100% at one point).

API (Australian pharmaceutical Industries)-----37.3% realised net profit in 4 months.

OPS (OPSM Optical)---------------------------- ----29.5% realised net profit in 5 weeks (Market -9.2% same period).

HSP (Healthscope Ltd)------------------------------27.9% realised net profit in 9 weeks (Market -10.3% same period).

NUF (Nufarm chemicals)----------------------------20.9% realised net profit in 14 weeks.

CDO (Colorado Group)------------------------------20.1% realised net profit in 10 weeks.

ARP (ARB corp)---------------------------------------10.8% realised net profit in 2 months

MCP (Mcphersons)-------------------------------------9.0% realised net profit in 6 weeks

What they have in common is the following:

They were all 12 month highs. (Most people don't buy new highs, I didn't at one point either, but after studying the biggest moving stocks for the year I realised that if I didn't I wouldn't end up owning them)

They all broke out of a sideways price movement (short and long term).

They all had an increase in volume relative to themselves at the point of the price breakout.

They all belonged to an index that was, or was very close to a new high.

I was able to avoid the stocks that had risen too far by using the sell stop countback method, and most importantly I used a sell stop and trailing sell stop on all the stocks, winners and losers that enabled me to hold the stocks that were rising although I was tempted to sell them when they started falling a little bit, and sell the stocks that were falling in price immediately, although I was tempted to do the "if I hang on they will turn around" method. All part of the 4 common human behavioural problems that work against your ability to be a good trader, but thats for another posting.

If anybody has any questions feel free to e-mail me.

If anybody wants my list of common mistakes not to make, (but most people do make) e-mail me and I will send it to you, or wait and I will post it in the next fortnight.

[email protected]

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.