LYC 2.89% $5.69 lynas rare earths limited

BMW's new Hybrid. May mean RIP 48 MH

1. 7,202 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 485

First I have to give AUS much of thecredit for the thoughts that go into this post. It was his Post #: 40008629 that started me thinking about BMW. After studding his link https://www.automotivepurchasingand...peed-automatic-transmission-for-hybrid-drives Which I thought was excellent I did a quick search on Showing results for ZF transmissions andBMW There were 5.5M hits. I read a few and found out the ZF has been a long term supplier to BMW and has had many co development efforts. Signed deals this spring with BMW for the ZF 8HP transmission. Size of deals says 48 MH is dead at BMW. ( I think they were using Bosh 48 MH may be wrong)

I want to say clearly I have no prooffor what I am going to say. Remembering all of BMW statements when they canceled their first MH system to focus on transmission based systems and the FACT that ZF now has this product. Makes me make the assumption that the product was co developed with BMW. That BMW new hybrid will be a 300 volt 160 KW peak 80 KW run , 3 phase system. With great improvement numbers may even be coupled with a 4 cyl ice with an electric compressor. Will probably have a 48 volt primary system that will be generated from the 300 volts by a buck regulator, maybe a 48 volt alternator. Will also have a 12 volt system, derived with a regulator to support some legacy product like radios until they can be redesigned I think this was a done deal this spring as posts below show. Until I see multiple cars in the dealer lot with a spec sheet nothing is for sure. IF BMW does this and says 48 MH just did not give them what they wanted and shows impressive numbers the other major Manufactures, Primarily MB and Audi will have to follow. Remember GM and Ford are shipping many full hybrids with impressive sales numbers already. Only a fraction of the total of Honda and Toyota with GM’s and Ford’s, performance numbers not as good, but close and they are getting better. Once they match Toyota and Honda's performance I expect a big push from these two as well. Lastly BMW loves rear wheel primary drive as do I and ZP 8P transmission is for RWD.

Every one should do their own searchand not just read my cherry picked links but here are a few.

This is interesting obviously postedby an insider with detailed info. Take note of last paragraph before data tables. “below is a table of reference gear ratios as provided with theZF 8HP transmission, though actual implementations may differ depending on thetuning and specifications of individual vehicle manufacturers such as BMW and Audi. Differences in gear ratios have a measurable, direct impacton vehicle dynamics, performance, waste emissions as well as fuel mileage.

Could Audi be thinking of going this way as well I do not know but maybe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_8HP_transmission

These, in my opinion, will truly put the RIP marker over 48 MH at BMW proball the whole market

https://www.electrive.com/2019/04/04/zf-new-automatic-transmissions-for-bmw/

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/04/04/bmw-and-zf-sign-biggest-deal-in-history/

Don’t believe me read and think foryour selves. If Toyota, Honda, GM, Ford, and Hyundai are all full hybrids and now BMW, one of the first and strongest supporters of 48 MH joins the club with a product that has great improvement and maybe AUDI where does that leave 48 MH.?

If you think that BMW will opt for the48 volt 25KW version of this transmission read my post. Post#: 40009758

Update on GLC SUV 350 hybrid from MB. I again called two large dealers near me neither had any or seemed to know much. I called them a few months ago as well. Called Herb Chambers (617) 666-4100, who I think is biggest in new England, they did have one and had info. I have appointment next week to drive it. With the usual conditions of if it is not sold. I found it funny they did not push much to get me insooner but maybe that is just the MB way.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$5.69
Change
0.160(2.89%)
Mkt cap ! $5.318B
Open High Low Value Volume
$5.51 $5.72 $5.51 $34.45M 6.117M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
5 75089 $5.68

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$5.70 63441 5
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/03/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$5.70
  Change
0.160 ( 3.08 %)
Open High Low Volume
$5.55 $5.72 $5.53 1881896
Last updated 15.59pm 28/03/2024 ?
LYC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.