nicky, good luck with your horsesmy dear brother who passed away...

1. 17,117 Posts.
    nicky, good luck with your horses

my dear brother who passed away in 2008 had been a very successful jockey, then trainer all his life
    he had some great horses, many of them were real star performers
    the first one was virtually unbeatable from his sprinting days to the 2 milers.....I think this horse had more than 30 or more wins...he was racing in regional Victoria, before hitting Melbourne....he was rarely out of the money, and raced until he was almost 8 year old

another star broke the Sandown 1200 metres, and held that record for many years before it was broken again...this horse was blind in one eye, a huge horse over 18 hands

the difference between a good trainer and a bad trainer is the secret..both brothers took on many horses that Tommy Smith and Bart Cummings could not figure out...and worked wonders with them...

and then there are the games the jockeys play...

my older brother had some excellent hobby horses that he trained....he did not do it full time, just picked some gems here and there, all were very successful

I know some of the tricks in the trade...his jockey on one of his top mares, paid off 4 of the other jockeys, to knock her off in a huge race...she had been unbeaten at 5 starts and broken the records...it was all about the big money from betting..they knocked her around so much, she broke down, they ended her career...

it also works the other way, the jockeys will be paid to gang up and knock off the other horses, to allow one horse to win...
    there is a huge amount of cash and corruption behind the scenes
    owners and trainers can do their best, but they are at the mercy of the jockeys, once the horse jumps out of the barriers
    I simply repeated her age as stated by all the media
    this explains the difference..............

Black Caviar weighs approximately 570 kilograms and stands 16.2 hands high.[16] Horses foaled in Australia have their official "birthdays" on 1 August, whereas in the Northern Hemisphere horses have their ages advanced by one year on 1 January. This anomaly led to Black Caviar being officially described as a six-year-old when she ran in England in June 2012, although she was still a five-year-old by Southern Hemisphere reckoning
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Caviar_%28horse%29

cheers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.