1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

Bears progress

1. redabyss

1,383 Posts.

The bear's lot is a difficult and lonely one. There are bowels to be voided in the woods, resistance breaks to be covered, stocks that wont behave. A stock's path to doom is lumpier than the path to glory, and harder to pick - but the payoffs can be much higher.

I had WOW down as my top short. Shocking trend break in May, pathetically obvious bear rally from 11.40. Until it went over 12.50 and I had to cover. And how is a bear repaid for discipline? WOWWOT goes up 170% in a day.

Low P/E stocks are being treated well. TLS broke out of a triangle today, with target 4.38. After all of the churning of the last few days, must say I'm pleased to see it tradeable.

The banks are lunging for a breakout and I was forced to cover shorts. If they succeed they will retest highs - but I wouldnt hold my breath.

These cover losses were more than met by a no-risk play on CBAIGI. I bought a stack of these on Fri at 1.15, receive 1.17 in dividend and franking benefits which I can distribute to trust beneficiaries at $5k a person, and got 30c for it today, for 32c profit per share.

The high P/E stocks are pretty much doomed. TOL is the last to survive - it has broken trend without falling much. It is doing quite well on a bear rally and could retest the top - but after that, probably all over.

In the meantime, spec trades are OK. I got out of HDR and BLO today for a bit of a profit. Still waiting for ANL.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.