PAR 0.00% 34.5¢ paradigm biopharmaceuticals limited..

BACK to pain, page-2

1. 4,050 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6473
    BACK TO PAIN - PART 2

Part 1 of this two part post covered off more of the structural nature of the topic, what is back pain, what are some of the components and related problems? Part 2 now bring us into focus, what is currently out there in terms of possible remedies, how good are they and exactly how will we add any real value to the patient.

Let's firstly review the sub topics we will cover now:

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/2323/2323683-3670ea2f2a9c771546db01a1e5b5228f.jpg

MORE LIKE A SUB STANDARD OF CARE

Ok so a patient has back pain...what can they do? They usually are given a prescriptions for pain relieving medications...usually done in a couple of stages...low dose to start with...then stronger doses and then perhaps the next stage is a more powerful pain reliever. The problem is that the current pain relief is usually only cursory and limited. Over longer term usage there are side effects. Let's dive a little deeper.

There is an estimated 100 million Americans that have long term pain. Pain is disabling...it can stop you from working...it can stop you from sleeping...it can affect your whole life, your mood and your outlook...people will do anything to get relief from pain. Generally opioids have been the standard of care to date. But opioids are strong medications and for short term pain they can help you manage the pain to some extent but they come at a cost, more on this later.

In extreme cases such as cancer there are certain opioids that might be an alternative, speak to your medical practitioner. But these types of pain relief can be destructive, specially over longer term use which is generally required for OA, lower back and things such as frequent headaches. Opioids have serious side effects and can be disastrously addictive.

I have covered the surprising way that opioids trick us...here is a small snapshot from an original post I published back in Feb this year.

LINK TO ORIGINAL POST -----> WHAT A PAIN

1. Docs can be incentivised to have opioids as a go to solution
    2. Opioids provide some pain relief, but how do they work? By BLOCKING THE PAIN...not addressing it. The body is smart, it simply increases the number of pain receptors, this thus nullifies to some extent the effect of opioids and the patient gets the sensation that these opioids aren't doing enough. Remedy? Increase the dosage! That's bad news.
    3. The body produces its own endorphins which act as a pain reliever, when the body is fed these nasty external opioids it stops the production of the natural (internal) pain relief and it relies more heavily on the opioids being fed to it, a viscous and potentially deadly cycle arises.
    4. Opioids suppress emotions and trauma, this adds to their terrible addictive nature.
    5. Sleep deprivation is just another symptom of opioid use. This means less time for natural healing that occurs during deep sleep...

More bad news, opioids are destructive at a fundamental biological level, overdoses due to opioids went from some 16,849 deaths in the US in 1999 to an abhorrent 70,237 in 2017.1 For the first time in 20 odd years the numbers have tapered off but 2019 still saw an estimated 60,000 plus deaths. There are many more than are admitted to hospital or have serious symptoms and need to undergo detox.Ok so we know this is a terribly destructive solution, responsible for MORE deaths than car accidents in the US...the US Govt is well aware of this and are trying their best to stem this destruction and over prescription.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/2323/2323632-237d017781999874d5c1fa0e78e0b11d.jpg
    Yes good news the tide is turning, not so good news that the overall official count is still way too high...who/what will address this? Any guesses?

THE ACTION OF PPS

We know there is evidence of the wonderful action of iPPS on joints, the Phase II trial showed us the multiple action of our molecule on multiple joints all AT THE SAME TIME. You don't need to have injection at the site itself. Multi action? Not only in terms of multiple joints but iPPS has beneficial action on inflammation via the the work it does on NGF and increasing blood flow to the area of the inflamed joint.

Of course the back (spine) has so many of these joints and thus it stands to reason that our drug would have at least some efficacy in this area. The spine consists of bone joints and cartilage and has similar properties to other joints like the knee that we are currently focused on. With OA being essentially a wear and tear disease it stands to reason that a lot of patients will undergo this wear and tear in their backs with so many prevailing joints in this area.

Don't forget pain travels. If there is damage or cartilage loss in one area, the pain can sometimes be felt a lot further down or up along the connected nervous system.The real beauty of iPPS is that it primarily addresses pain and inflammation. It does this safely. In a massive 85% of cases back pain is unknown and "radiographic imaging of spine osteoarthritis does not necessarily correlate with patients' pain".2 Here is where iPPS could indeed become such a wide-spread viable treatment to alleviate pain even in cases that are not explicitly linked to a formal diagnosis of OA. With such vast numbers of treatable patients, it's just another entire massive area that may open up for us further along. Yes it will be a patient wait. But when it occurs, we will hardly be able to keep up!

COMBO ANYONE?

Yes I'll have fries and a coke with that.iPPS as we have seen is revolutionary. But despite it being the magic juice, it doesn't help everyone in every aspect. The take away for me is that that is not the end of the line. I mean the markets are so vast for us that even we end up only being able to treat a small fraction, this, in the long term, in my view will be huge. What I am alluding to is that through a combo, the numbers we will be able to assist will increase and the level to which we will make a difference may also be enhanced.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/2323/2323613-ddacd22f5b8186d7e9e8d18ca49ba318.jpg
    Hey, you wanna upgrade that to a combo? This is a combo that could pay off nicely...read on.

Mozz case study? I'll give you two, we have the Burger..we may also be able to sell fries and a coke with it...and I might even throw a couple of them Chicken Nugget things in there for good measure.

CASE STUDY 1

We know we can assist in joint pain....but add this factor in and combo it up with Enzyme Replacement Therapy and it's a great deal for the patients that have MPS. It's good for us as there already is a channel established, it could be a quicker path to steeper revenue gradients for us.

CASE STUDY 2

Paradigmers... hands up who of you would be interested in a case study that not only involves iPPS but the study was done in combo with Mesenchymal progenitor cells (MPCs) AND it was concentrated on the research and effects on backbone discs...quite pertinent to this post wouldn't you suggest?

Not only that, this study isn't being reported from the any random lab tech working in an unknown lab set up in someone's backyard.....this is from the Journal of Neurosurgery and was discovered by a team of Doctors with a number of them having Ph D's and Fellowships (F.R.A.C.S.) indicating a distinguished qualification of extensive training in surgical procedures.

In 2014 there was an amazing study that was conducted. It involved sheep. There were three batches...
    Batch 1 No treatment
    Batch 2 - Gelatine/Fibrin scaffold (known as SCAF for short) was introduced
    Batch 3 - SCAF plus MPCs and PPS.

A microdiscectomy procedure was performed on 18 discs and these were then randomised and subject to one of the three batches above.

RESULTS?
    Well firstly the good news.....there were no AE's observed.
    The better news? ...let me not use my own words, let me show it to you directly from the results section of the said study:

"The MPC+PPS+SCAF group had significantly less reduction in disc height compared with SCAF-only and NIL groups".4

The report also goes on to say that this winning combo produced results that were:

"significantly lower than the SCAF only group"

In other words it resulted in less of the disc being degraded.

Hey Mozz? Any chance you can tell me what percentage of the discs were positively affected?
    Yes, dear reader...here it is; The report states that

"Analysis of the histological sections showed that 66% of the MPC+PPS+SCAF-treated discs exhibited less degeneration than the NIL or SCAF discs".

Yes it is one thing to halt a disease...it's another to show..."formulations of mesenchymal progenitor cells combined with pentosan polysulfate (MPCs+PPS) have been shown to regenerate disc tissue in animal models".

Amazing.

ToTheMoon? That statement makes my heart race.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/2323/2323663-51e6d87e0eaeed4c8c9ac802ccef1122.jpg
    Don't need to know the ins and outs of what is under the hood...but it does enhance your knowledge, knowledge that's important to a longer term holding.

Paradigmers...I truly believe you and I are in the smallest of sliver's of the investment community (let alone the general population ) that actually know the science behind iPPS. Sure you don't have to know the science under the car bonnet...it works, we know that..but are we not better informed investors knowing the sheer potential...the biology behind the scenes? Anyone soon (a week or two from now) will know more about iPPS and PAR...but it is you and I reading these words that are early to the party...THIS is a party I want to attend.

DISCLAIMERS

Yep I'm no doc, the spine is a complicated and vital structure..it carries the nervous system's highway to the brain and is a central structure to us humans. Don't take it for granted. Any assistance rendered here by iPPS will be important and of a breakthrough nature in my opinion.

Certainly DYOR, there is plenty to research in this area! If its shown that we can make a positive and safe contribution to the reduction and alleviation of back pain, and I do believe we will one day, it will add meaningful spades to the sheer beauty of what you and I hold.

REFERENCES

1] https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/podcasts/20190911/20190911.htm#:~:text=The%20latest%20release%20covers%20the,drug%20overdose%20during%20this%20period.
    2] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK553190/
    3] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC165040/
    4] https://thejns.org/spine/view/journals/j-neurosurg-spine/20/6/article-p657.xml

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PAR (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
34.5¢
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $120.9M
Open High Low Value Volume
35.5¢ 36.0¢ 34.5¢ $101.9K 292.7K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 39147 34.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
36.0¢ 21134 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 29/03/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
35.0¢
  Change
0.000 ( 1.92 %)
Open High Low Volume
35.0¢ 36.0¢ 34.5¢ 115057
Last updated 15.59pm 29/03/2024 ?
PAR (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.