1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers
ILU $9.75

Australian Iluka poised for €130m Kenmare Resources bid

1. tobyjack

9,236 Posts.

Australian Iluka poised for €130m Kenmare Resources bid

Iluka Resources, the €2bn Australian mining firm, is thought to be preparing to launch a new bid to take over €130m valued Irish resources group Kenmare, according to financial sources. Over the last decade Kenmare has developed one of the biggest ilmenite mines in the world at its Moma site in Mozambique. Ilmenite is used as a white pigment in the paint industry.

Iluka, which is advised by Goldman Sachs and A&L Goodbody, is understood to be close to completing its due diligence on Kenmare, with key executives visiting Dublin and the Moma mine in Mozambique. Last year, Iluka proposed an all share deal to buy Kenmare worth the equivalent of 12p per share. Although Kenmare's share price jumped last week, any new offer is likely to be significantly lower than the previous approach. Kenmare, which declined to comment, is being advised by Rothschild and McCann Fitzgerald.

Michael Carvill's Kenmare is said to be close to a deal to refinance part of its $350m Moma loans, split between senior and junior debt. Some $80m needs to be repaid in December with senior and junior lenders jockeying for position and negotiating among themselves before turning to Kenmare. Key lenders in this group are primarily state backed banks including the European Investment Bank, German state bank KFW, Dutch group FMO, the African development Bank and Barclays ABSA.

Apart from its debt situation, Kenmare has been savaged by the markets as prices for its key ilmenite product tumble. Current ilmenite prices are as low as they were during the financial crisis in 2009. Ilmenite prices have been pounded due to a glut of supply in China. Ilmenite is a by-product of some iron ores heavily mined by the Chinese.
    Analyst TZMI is forecasting an improvement in the market. It is believed that third parties, including private equity and institutional buyers may be looking at investing in the sector ahead of any potential uptick in prices.
    Sunday Indo Business

http://www.independent.ie/business/...-for-130m-kenmare-resources-bid-30953459.html

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.