Anti vaxxers

1. 12,646 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 482
    I can't help myself. I'm sure we haven't done anti facing for a few days....

Teenagers getting secret vaccinations without parental permissionJackie Sinnerton, The Courier-MailFebruary 9, 2019 12:00amSubscriber onlyQUEENSLAND teenagers are increasingly defying their anti-vax parents and getting secret jabs to protect themselves against potentially deadly diseases.Doctors have dubbed these teenagers Generation V, and say there is an increasing number of youngsters 15 and over taking advantage of Queensland laws that allow medical treatment, including immunisation, without parental consent.
     Suburbs with lowest vax ratesIn parts of Queensland, the vaccination rate is as low as 88.93 per cent, and the state immunisation rate is not meeting the Australian Medical Association’s national target of 95 per cent.Teenagers aged between 15 and 19 are particularly at risk of the deadly meningococcal disease and according to Queensland Health, “these kids take vaccinations so seriously we could call them ‘Generation V’ as lots actually remind parents about the importance of vaccination”.Antivax mother Allona Lahn says children should not be able to go behind their parents’ backs.
    Royal Australian College of General Practitioners president Dr Harry Nespolon said teenagers had the right to protect themselves from horrible, instant killer diseases like meningococcal.“The reality is I’d prefer a teenager to be vaccinated without parental consent than dead within a day. Meningococcal is a rare but awful disease that can kill or lead to brain damage or limb loss,” he told The Courier-Mail.“If a teen wanted to be vaccinated, a GP would urge them to discuss with their parents, but if that was not possible then they would seriously assess the competency of the patient. We would work with the teens to try to get them caught up with life-saving injections,” he said.The Sunshine and Gold Coast hinterlands are among the areas with the lowest vaccination rates.Some children are asking their peers on social media for advice on how to get vaccinated without their parents’ permission.“My mum told me that she ‘vaccinated’ me against whooping cough with homoeopathy,” one post read.“I was horrified and asked my dad and he said he took me (and siblings) to get vaccinated without telling her.”
     Another post read: “I am writing because I am the 15-year-old son of an anti-vaccine parent. I have spent the last four years trying to convince my mother that vaccines are safe.“I haven’t succeeded. So, instead, I am trying to research how to be vaccinated without my mother’s consent.”In Queensland, the “mature minor” law allows children aged 15 and over to consent to their own medical treatment.The service provider must assess if they have sufficient understanding to make their own decisions.But this legislation has been labelled deadly and divisive by parents who do not support immunisation.Sunshine Coast mother Allona Lahn said the Government was playing a deadly and divisive game by allowing teenagers to secretly take unnecessary drugs.‘‘The My Gov site allows children aged 14 to have their own accounts which means parents can’t see if they have been given any medications,” said Ms Lahn, who has a six-year-old daughter.“This is a shocking situation and one that needs addressed immediately.
     “I don’t know of any teenager that has gone against their parents, and it’s disgusting that the Government is not encouraging open communication between family members.”Ms Lahn is against vaccinations as she had serious allergies when she was 21 from a hepatitis B injection.“At 14, a child can’t legally drink or drive or have sex but now can make a decision to take pharmaceutical drugs with no parental consent,” she said.Ms Lahn said she felt sure her daughter would not go ahead with vaccinations as a teenager.“She won’t be around the peer pressure of the formal classroom,” she said.Australian Medical Association Queensland president Dilip Dhupelia said the evidence was overwhelming that since immunisation was introduced, the community had benefited through the reduction in preventable illnesses, some of which previously resulted in major morbidity and, in some cases, mortality.“In complex situations where adolescents are involved, our advice to doctors has always been to seek advice from Queensland Health as to how to approach each situation and the legal framework that should be applied, given the circumstances,” he said.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.