1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

Analytical Wizard Required

1. The following is a suggestion which may help all on this forum.

Could somebody who has access to complete historical data for (say) the All Ordinaries index, analyse the data to determine the following:

Based on the amount the index has risen or fallen in the preceeding 1, 2, 3 ... 10 days, what is the probabilty that the market will rise on the next day.

You would need to break the rises over the period into percentage breaks 0 - 10 points, 11 - 20 points, etc., or maybe percentage changes.

Perhaps you could work out the probabilty of a rise occurring on any given day, based on the number of preceeding consecutive rising days. For example, if the market rose on each of the preceeding three days, what is the chance of the rise continuing.

The results could make interesting reading.

The real reason for requesting this is to hopefully put an end to the continual predictions from so-called experts who think they can predict what happens tomorrow, and the continual lamb-basting of the so-called experts when they turn out to be wrong.

We may find out that if the market falls for five consequtive days, then the probabilty of it falling on the sixth day is 90 percent. We may also find that over a long period, the probabilty of the market rising on any day is 70 percent, and it doesn't matter what happened on the previous day, the probabilty is still 70 percent.

I for one would be interested in seeing the results.

I would also be interested in being involved in a forum where the participants provide researched information suitable for constructive discussion, rather than chest-beating predictions and criticism of other people.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.