Afternoon trading December 13

1. 14,238 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 6

Thanks Oscar and morning crew.

Half-time round-up:

Shares edged towards a third straight advance as the mood improved on global markets.

The ASX 200 reached mid-session 19 points or 0.3% stronger at 5673 as repair work continued following Monday's plunge to a two-year low. A 2.9% slump in the telecoms sector after the ACCC postponed a decision on a proposed merger between TPG and Vodafone was offset by gains in materials +1.1%, financials +1%,  I.T. +0.8% and industrials +0.3%.

US and European stocks closed higher overnight after British Prime Minister Theresa May survived a confidence vote, allowing her to push on with her unpopular Brexit plan. The UK's FTSE 100 improved 1.08% and the S&P 500 in the US 0.54%. S&P 500 futures were recently up 4.5 points or 0.17%. China's Shanghai Composite put on 0.02%, Hong Kong's Hang Seng 0.56% andJapan's Nikkei 0.52%.

Crude oil futures bounced 18 cents or 0.35% this morning to US$51.33 a barrel. Gold futures eased 60 cents or 0.05%to US$1,249.40 an ounce. The dollar was buying 72.16 US cents.

Trading: been stalking DNA for days for an entry, looked at today's open and thought; 'Nah - too dear.' Shakes head. Well done to those who rode it to the heights. Can't say I'm enjoying this market. Feels like the fundies are using most announcements as volume opportunities to lock in profits. Need them to close the books and bugger off to the beach. Maybe the week after next, but I'll be doing the same.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.