Abbott risks preselection challenge

1. 58,797 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 726
    I have recently mentioned that I have heard of the possibility that the liberal party are considering dropping Abbott preselecting some one else for Abbott's seat. So just to confirm I was not making that up

Abbott would not have a hope in hell of being elected as an independent

Tony Abbott risks preselection challenge
    by Phillip Coorey
    Liberal Party powerbrokers warn Tony Abbott could face a preselection challenge for his seat of Warringah ahead of next year's federal election, especially if he continues to destabilise the Turnbull government.

With the majority of Mr Abbott's colleagues again dismayed at his latest outburst on Monday this week in which he openly criticised policy direction, party operatives said it was more than likely that Mr Abbott would be challenged for the safe northern beaches seat he has held since 1994.

Liberal moderates are encouraged by the recent preselection contest for the state seat of Manly, vacated by Mike Baird, and which falls in Mr Abbott's electorate.

Mr Abbott's preferred candidate, Walter Villatora "was smashed" by moderate James Griffin and this should serve as a warning to the former prime minister that he risks a locally-inspired push to oust him.
    http://www.copyright link/content/dam/images/g/v/m/9/0/n/image.imgtype.afrArticleInline.620x0.png/1492487309461.jpg
    Coalition MP Warren Entsch, pictured with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, believes Tony Abbott should leave Parliament. Andrew Meares
    One conservative powerbroker said while Mr Abbott was "marginally" in control of the numbers in his seat, a challenge was a sure thing.

"I'd put my house on it," the conservative said.

"It's a fluid situation but the way he is going, he is pissing off more people every day."
    "A seat like Warringah needs to be for a minister, or potential minister," argued one powerbroker who declined to be named.

"Tony's a bit like Bronwyn (Bishop). She was never going to be promoted again."

Most members of the Coalition have now adopted a form of words designed to stop Mr Abbott's comments gaining traction and dominating the news cycle.

These are along the lines that Mr Abbott is a backbencher and entitled to speak his mind, but he should do so judiciously.

However, Queensland MP Warren Entsch said Mr Abbott should consider quitting politics.
    "When he starts continuing to sort of perform on a national stage then of course this is very very damaging to the government," he said.

"If he can't contain his comments to issues relating to his electorate – which is what is expected of all of us backbenchers – if he can't do that and if he feels he just wants to continue to criticise the government and its performance and the Prime Minister then really he is not making any positive contribution at all."

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.