1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

A measure of the value of our market

1. eddievanhalen

1,200 Posts.

Just wondering if anyone else there calculates a measurable figure of value for our market. I have a formula which I use for this and which has been back-tested to the early 80's with success.

It gives a score of 0-10 based on the value of the market taking into account a number of factors including market PE,interest rates,bond yield curve shape and the median PEG of market stocks.

The best reading ever has been around 8 in early 1993 (it was a 7 at the bottom of the Sept 11 crash) and the worst a 1 which occurred in mid-late 2000-2001 and all the way from late 1985 to Oct 1987!!! Plenty of warning!

Using this formula I get a reading of 5 at the moment which is considered not great but good buying and with further downside to the market this could become great very shortly.........I say NO chance of a significant correction on the Aussie market (ie 10%+).....any drop will be gradual.

My technical system indicates the market should not close a month below 3000..........if that fails an absolute bottom at 2900.........probability suggests 3000 will hold though. This combined with my value indicator makes me feel fairly good about the Aussie market........although I have been stopped out of half of my shares in the last few weeks!!!.....just hope the RBA doesn't go too hard at % rates as this will take away some of the value I have alluded to.

Ed.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

Thank you for visiting HotCopper

We have detected that you are running ad blocking software.

HotCopper relies on revenue generated from advertisers. Kindly disable your ad blocking software to return to the HotCopper website.

I understand, I have disabled my ad blocker. Let me in!

Need help? Click here for support.