1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers

14,000 illegals slip through net

1. Just the tip of the iceberg I'd say.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,5675831%255E601,00.html

14,000 Illegals Slip Through Net.
    By Jamie Walker
    December 14, 2002

ALMOST 14,000 failed asylum-seekers are on the run in Australia after having their refugee claims rejected, immigration authorities say.

An investigation by The Weekend Australian suggests that many absconders are being supported by an increasingly sophisticated underground network providing accommodation, medical care, food and financial support.

The Department of Immigration estimates 36 per cent of the 6255 applicants denied refugee protection visas in 2001-02 have gone underground. They are now classed as "visa over-stayers", liable to immediate detention and expulsion.

Asked how many asylum-seekers had absconded over the past five years, the department said the total was 13,737 as at June this year. Only a fraction of them – 263 since 1999 – had escaped from detention centres.

"Most have been out in the community on various substantive and bridging visas, and have gone into hiding once their PV claims failed," the department said in a written response to questions from The Weekend Australian.

The revelations last night stunned refugee advocates, who said that they contradicted previous statements from the Government.

In September 1997, Philip Ruddock's office had said in response to a question on notice from Democrats senator Natasha Stott Despoja: "No unauthorised asylum-seeker released on a bridging visa in Australia from 1996 to 1998 failed to meet their reporting obligations."

The executive officer of the Catholic Commission for Justice Development and Peace, Marc Purcell, described the latest figures as "wildly inaccurate", and demanded that the department clarify them.

On the heels of last week's upheavals in the ALP over asylum-seeker policy, the refugee issue is set to reignite this summer with:

Moves by the Government to expedite a review of the status of up to 1700 East Timorese asylum-seekers, many of whom have been in Australia for a decade or more. The first rulings by the Refugee Review Tribunal are expected out of NSW in January, potentially resulting in orders for the return of many asylum-seekers to East Timor;

Expiry of the opening batches of temporary protection visas issued to discourage boatpeople arrivals. Ultimately, up to 4000 Afghan asylum-seekers, as well as hundreds of Sri Lankans and thousands more Iraqis, could have their claims for protection re-examined against the backdrop of improved security in their homelands.
    The Immigration Department said 60 per cent of the 6255 protection visa applicants whose cases failed in 2001-02 remained in the community.

Of that total, 1735 were classed as "lawful non-citizens", presumably having obtained bridging visas to continue to challenge adverse departmental or tribunal decisions.

But 2243 now were listed as visa over-stayers. Only 1700 had left the country voluntarily, while 400 had been "located and removed".

As of October 31, there were 3032 asylum-seekers living in the community awaiting departmental protection visa decisions, the department said. Another 43 applicants remained in detention.

Research co-ordinated by Mr Purcell in Melbourne shows that community-based asylum-seekers do not have such high success rates in their claims as those who arrived by boat and were taken into custody under the Howard Government's mandatory detention policy.

Refugee Council of Australia executive director Margaret Piper said the Immigration Department figures on absconding could reflect a growing problem with rogue immigration agents, who were applying for refugee protection for people who had no possible case.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://p&c.blogspot.com/2002_12_08_p&c_archive.html#85658213

Elsewhere in the Oz, they have managed to fill almost four full broadsheet feature pages with the plight of illegal immigrants, and the bravery of their supporters, but not a mention enywhere of the breaking story from last night about one of their chosen few being nabbed by the plod in Toowoomba and charged with a variety of nasty sex offences; convenient, that - never let the truth get in the way of a crusade.

I trust that the AFP and DILGEA have taken due note of the names and adresses mentioned in these articles, and will shortly be paying them a visit wirth a view to prosecution for habouring fugitives, and grabbing any stray undocumented non-citizens for immediate removal.

If you want to help the poor, the downtrodden and those who can't help themselves, join the RSPCA.
    These pricks can apply for a visa and land here legally if they qualify under our laws - if they don't, they should not be here.

I am not a xenophobe - when 90% of my clients are of non-anglo celtic background, I would go broke very quickly if I only worked for people from my own ethnic group.
    The difference between my clients and acquaintances, and the people promoted by "refugee" advocate groups, is that the people I know and deal with are here LEGALLY- they have abided by our proceedures, and what's more, have injected a lot of their own capital and effort into this country, as well as provided employment to a lot of other Australians.

I can't say the same for a community of ex-pat Iraqis who choose a life of welfare in the Riverina rather than lower themselves to pick fruit, for example.
    there is now the start of a campaign for East Timorese to be granted residence- why the f*ck did we spend all that money to boot out the Indonesians and stabilise the place, if they are going to stay here anyway?

I think the Catholic Church and assorted other advocacy groups should open up a dictionary once in a while, and have a look at what "refugee" means;
    They may find it refers to someone fleeing from a situation that threatens their existence, not someone who thinks they can enjoy a better lifestyle..................

If any of these people think they have something to offer Australia, put in an application for a Residence Visa, and prove they have a more compelling case than the numerous other legitimate candidates.
    Being here illegally for a length of time is not, to my mind, a compelling reason to allow someone to stay.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.