Hi Taurisk, re "GZ I have been given that answer, but have also...

1. 29,310 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 80
    Hi Taurisk,
    re "GZ I have been given that answer, but have also met migrants from Singapore who had found living there when he was in charge oppressive. "

I KNOW that some would have, Taurisk...... but remember, he WAS a dictator, albeit a benevolent one. I knew one local up there well, who had been "re-educated", lol. All you had to do was say the word "union", and you were in trouble. The slightest dissent was frowned on. But is that bad? Under Lee, Singapore had one of the highest standards of living in the world. There was no unemployment there, and they imported labour for land reclamation and other menial tasks. Every kid went to school and was educated..... to cope with the number of students, school was then run in two shifts. They were taught to be "of service" to customers. When you approached a counter, they would flock to serve you.....not like some staff here in Oz who watch you standing there and eventually ask "You right?". God, I hate that expression. Such a clean and orderly place. Saw one drunk there, ever....Australian, would you believe? And one disorderly kid ...Yelling "You not gonna make me eat that!".... you guessed it, Australian.
    you do your job, dont rock the boat, and all is well.
    Compare it to here..... I was at Panawonica in the late 70's, the most unionised place in Australia...where management ASKED employees to do a task. If they ordered, or demanded, it was "everybody out" until the supervisor was removed.
    How can you run an operation like that? I was there just after they had a strike because there were only 2 flavours of ice cream in the mess instead of the stipulated 3. Under Lee, there would have been mass re-education in a dark environment with no ice cream.
    It all depends on one's outlook. When I joined the workforce, one did what had to be done to get a job finished. No ''thats not my job" or "I dont have to do that".
    My reply to the latter used to be "You are right. You dont have to. I'll get someone who will and who wants a job. Bye."
    Today, it would be "Thats outside my job description" lol. But today, we are faced with unfair dismissal laws..... that Lee would not have allowed.
    Maybe, Taurisk, the reason I liked Lee was because I was an oppressive tyrant at heart. But I used to get the job done because I believed it was my job to do so.
    I like to think I was benevolent, though.

cheers
    GZ

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.