1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Join HotCopper today

HotCopper is the largest stock market forum in Australia with over 250,000 registered members and more than 6,000 posts per day. Membership is FREE. Join now!

3. There is now a Managed funds topic. Enjoy.

why we have too few women leaders - great ted

1. sypaladin

10,758 posts.
    My posts are more about women of the future, though. There will be more women in leadership positions, for those men who think the entitlement of such, is only theirs.

Hi ASF,
    I bet they will still not be really happy.

Men and women, think differently, behave differently as nature intended.

In the beginning men where the hunters and women where the gatherers of herbs , fruit and etc, and mother.They were a team.

If the roles where swapped then, I wonder where we would be today as a civilisation?

In the modern world today, women are not content to be good mothers, they want to burn the candle at both ends.

I never understand why women, a lot single, will give their child to a stranger so they can go to work, and lose the precious first years of their child's growth.

Is that a good decision to be made for a "Leader".

Why have the child in the first place.A baby and young child needs 100% of your time.

Who would buy a puppy and put it in a kennel and go to work.

If you have no children, don't want to have children, have a husband that will take your place in rearing you baby, fine, go for the CEO position.

I have read where 60 odd year old woman having IVF to have a baby after her career. Bit selfish, poor kid.

Why don't people put kids first.

There are some smart dedicated women who earn their position.

But a quota system will fail.

I am a retired tradesman,the right tool for the job makes jobs easy and rewarding. Use a tool not design for a particular job and you have trouble.

So you have to have the right Miss/Mrs spanner to tighten nuts successful.

BTW. My mother became single when I was 8 yrs old, 57 years ago.

My wife had a year off then went back to her career.

I worked at home an looked after daughter.
    Scarey responsibility, but have wonderful memories.

cheers,

sypaladin

2. Spyladin great read. Your thoughts are aligned with mine. Women and career need thought IMO when kids are in there. Have ladies heard of family ?

3. eagle888

19,989 posts.

Blimey you say nearly all ASX public listed companies have male CEOs. We had better change that. They have been spending and losing our money like mad and paying themselves astronomical sums for that privilege lol.

The largest company CEOs get up to a about 10mill a year lol. Can you believe that. Many get paid out with astronomical sums when they stuff a company up. Its a one way gravy train and its nearly all men you say. We better get a few more women up there, they cant do any worse. They are known to have excellent budgeting skills in all walks of life.

cheers

4. towie

26,791 posts.

Hi The performance of this Incompetent Lieing Female has done Untold Damage to any female who tries in the future for this job. Towie DYOR

5. Eagle obviously you have a minority opinion on more female CEOs ? Agree

6. Justlookin

7,589 posts.

Not that I like the idea of a Facebook freak providing the the prelude, there have been great women leaders like Elizabeth the 1st including enduring to this day legislative legacies like the The Charitable Uses Act.

As for the Facebook crew and Sheryl Sandberg etc..

Don't forget to pay your taxes Facebook. ;)

7. eagle888

19,989 posts.

As women continue to get more opportunities and the associated financial benefits and freedoms it brings the numbers imo that get to top leadership jobs will close the gap compared with men. In recent decades as barriers have been removed the roles in which women are involved have expanded more and more and into areas some men never thought possible. Regretably in a lot of mainly third world countries little progress has been made in the emancipation of women. Over time that will hopefully improve with both progressive men and women fighting on their behalf.

cheers

8. sypaladin

10,758 posts.
    We better get a few more women up there, they cant do any worse. They are known to have excellent budgeting skills in all walks of life.

Good evening Eagles888.

Would that be like a divorce,when a female CEO leaves.
    Takes at least half the company and car pool.

Careful what you wish for.Just because they are women, don't mean you can trust them.

Back in History remember Sampson and Delilah.

Helen of Troy

recently a few others.

cheers,

sypaladin

9. Justlookin

7,589 posts.

Facebook have it covered sypaladin.

Check these lemmings out....

10. towie

26,791 posts.

Hi Having Gillard as the First Female P M should make sure that it will be many decades before we have another one. Towie DYOR

11. Eagle, the public votes. How more fair do you want it ? Women will never be on equal pay as men. How can they be when they have less experience

12. asf

9,542 posts.

So, do people think differently when it comes to their own daughters? I can understand that some don't think their wives could reach a position of leadership, according to ability, or nature, etc, and people have probably married accordingly. But what about daughters? Are they to be kept to low levels at work, due to their incapacity for elevation, or might they have inherited some of their father's intelligence that could allow for higher levels, if they should so choose, and according to their ability?

13. Justlookin

7,589 posts.

that was either a Julia Gillard or Gina Rinehart lemming climbimg the triple towers to prosperity.

I love lemming world. ;)

14. Justlookin

7,589 posts.

asf said:

Are they to be kept to low levels at work, due to their incapacity for elevation, or might they have inherited some of their father's intelligence that could allow for higher levels, if they should so choose, and according to their ability?

I can see a flourishing of female talent in Australia. It's a shame the Family Court of Australia want to keep Fathers without access/or limited access rights to their children divided.

Ask the deconstructionist post-modernist fembots what they think? Do men have a place in modern society? Ask Gillard, Roxon, Plibersek (heroin-dealing husband) etc...

15. Eagle, how possibly can they be equal pay when the race would cease to exist in a completely free market ?

16. Justlookin

7,589 posts.

I think you under-estimate the power of women Massey Ferguson.

There are many women who could carry a 50 kg bag of produce on their backs all day and load it into shipping containers 8 to 9 hours a day.

There are also plenty of women who could go out to a remote place and work from 4am in the morning doing physical labor all day long until 6 pm.

There are also plenty of women who would be willing to work for the likes of Australian Meat Holdings and collect the 30 to 50 kilogram tubs of fat and bone from dead animals at suburban butcherys. After all the majority of the tallow melted all goes towards making expensive cosmetics anyway. Women would also be strong enough to be paid $11 per hour for a 10 hour shift to sit in a truck and provide labor to lift 50 kilograms plus into the tray of the truck. Women need liberation after all and some men (the weaklings) need a break.

17. As a comparison that is a fraction of the work men can and do complete? Do men do more work than women in australia ? Do they move more business $$? No comparison

18. RBRiddick

313 posts.

have babies and take time out of the workforce: all your male colleagues who you are no doubt equal to in qualifications and experience up until that point suddenly pass you by.

you return to the workforce a year or two later with a hole in your CV and knowledge and possibly quals and contacts that are 1 - 2 years behind where the industry is at that point.

Of course you will not reach the same heights as those that didn't take time out.

essentially it comes down tot he myth that everyone can have it all. In this case it is women - yes there seems to be a choice. Unfortunate but true.

R

19. "essentially it comes down tot he myth that everyone can have it all. In this case it is women - yes there seems to be a choice. Unfortunate but true." so its unfortunate that females happen to have the most amazing gift of all, children ?

20. Justlookin

7,589 posts.

Unfortunate but true." so its unfortunate that females happen to have the most amazing gift of all, children ?

And whether they are worked into the ground or not is ultimately a gender question?

21. asf

9,542 posts.

Justlooking, re the Family Court, I've seen some posts on HC complaining about it. When women express concern about equality, the are "whingeing", according to some. When men discuss the Family Court, they are seen as having legitimate cocerns about injustice. Of course men never whinge. ;) With no whingeing, I presume there would be no change.

You are so right about the women carrying food about. It's incredible what people can endure to survive.

22. RBRiddick

313 posts.

"so its unfortunate that females happen to have the most amazing gift of all, children ?"

It's not gift that women can have children - some kind of magic. It's biology.
    Whether they have to have them or not is a choice. The old argument that the species will die out is simply garbage considering the world pop grows every year.

so no it's not unfortunate. It's they way it is. Choose to either breed, or not to breed.

"And whether they are worked into the ground or not is ultimately a gender question?"

no. it's a choice. My wife and I have No kids through choice and she certainly isn't worked into the ground. We both work in the same industry, make good bucks (similar wages for similar work).

choose wisely.

R

23. It's acknowledging a fact. Men in economic terms, salary, are more well off than females. Are you disputing this ? They also take on a higher workload in the economy

24. asf

9,542 posts.

Massey, yes, that is true. Some ask why- might there be some structural reasons- and others say it is about brains and bodies.

25. I'll tell you what it's about. Humans are greased to function this way. Females have babies, blokes don't. Women should not compare or fight this. They are on a hiding to nothing

26. Justlookin

7,589 posts.
  27. valen1828

5,050 posts.

I kind of guess you forget the major wars when women did do everything for the effort other than carry the gun.

Men come home ,out with the job.

Nature has some species on different roles .But mostly the males are the lazy ones.(:

28. Justlookin

7,589 posts.

Men Don't Exist

29. Justlookin

7,589 posts.

Damn misogynists

30. jezza65

1,223 posts.

Just like to make a few points.

Firstly, business leaders don't necessarily make great leaders of countries. They are focused on 'term politics' ensuring their survival for another term, focused more on their annual bonuses rather than the long term company viability and ethics ... sounds like most of the worlds politicians are similar to business leaders.

Secondly, Julie Bishop has escaped notice here. She was a lawyer representing CSR in asbestosis compensation cases. This in itself is a gross error of judgement unless denying the rights of the dying to fair compensation is considered an honourable thing. It is very obvious that she is not deputy leader of the Liberal party based on ability.

Thatcher was not a great leader she was just a pig-headed woman with a grudge. Britain should not occupy the Malvinas.

Last, Bhuto was assasinated days after announcing that her 'intel' indicated that Bin Laden had been dead since before 9-11.

I work for a company that employs and promotes women ahead of men purely on gender. Our SP used to be double the current SP.

31. Eljay

2,324 posts.

Scenario : You are the employer and you need to hire someone who can potentially increase your companies profits and strengthen your market position.

1. Do you hire a woman because your company needs a gender balance.

2. Do you hire a man because the language in the boardroom might embarrass a woman.

3. Do you hire the person best qualified for the position.

There is only one correct answer !

32. Trees

20,503 posts.

Perhaps some have better things to do.

To me from my observation there seems to be many women leaders in the man/female partnership

Kinda off Topic
    Ego:
    Seen some classic women and men bosses

Gender balance
    Rife in my main areas of work.

Intelligence
    Not crucial

Dedication
    Important

Leadership and mentoring
    Important

33. sypaladin

10,758 posts.
    Secondly, Julie Bishop has escaped notice here. She was a lawyer representing CSR in asbestosis compensation cases. This in itself is a gross error of judgement unless denying the rights of the dying to fair compensation is considered an honourable thing. It is very obvious that she is not deputy leader of the Liberal party based on ability.

Jezza65, are you saying you want to be Judge and jury by saying who gets Lawyer representation and who doesn't.

Bishop was doing her job.Grow up.

Back to subject,

I believe when men went to work and women stayed home to have children, they were paid to support whole family of wife and children.

Then as times changed, possible after WW11 when women had to go to work to support the fighting men with aircraft and other supplies, they found it rewarding.

I saw recently a doco on women ferrying aircraft from factory to airfields in WW11.

These women were amazing and did a brilliant job.I am sure they weren't concern about equal wages, they wanted to fly single handed fighters, 4 engine bombers, and they did.
    They wanted the challenge and excitement.They would have deserve equal pay. 10% lost their lives.

Money isn't everything. Enjoying life, job and supporting love ones is.

cheers,

sypaladin

34. sypaladin

10,758 posts.

Google a quick look.

While the U.S. was not yet fighting in World War II, Cochran had gone to England to volunteer to fly for the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA).[5] The ATA had been using female pilots since January 1940, and was starting to train new ones as well. The American women who flew in the ATA were the first American women to fly military aircraft.[5] They flew the Royal Air Force's front-line aircraft—Spitfires, Typhoons, Hudsons, Mitchells, Blenheims, Oxfords, Walruses, and Sea Otters—in non-combat roles, but in combat-like conditions. Most of these women served in the ATA during the war. Only three members returned to the U.S. to participate in the WASP program.

more at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_Airforce_Service_Pilots

still photos no video, worth a look at these brave skilled women.

cheers,

sypaladin

35. jantimot

16,962 posts.

My grandmother ran a production line making aircraft parts during the war. Ran the union, canteen, and brought up three kids.

Went back to housewifing after the war.

36. kincella

17,117 posts.

an example of why the womens movement, keeps going backwards, rather than forward.
    have a look at how the current crop of women leaders, currently on display in parliament house everyday

if you were an employer, would you like anyone of these women representing your company ?

these women display their true feelings when debating in Question & Answer time.....say no more

any business would not survive if this was your public face

there are some women in that house, that all employers would be proud of....for example Julie Bishop,
    a huge difference between the two camps

this is not political, it simply provides an excellent example of why the majority of women are not chosen for these positions...
    if they are chosen on merit...only Bishop would get a job

37. jezza65

1,223 posts.

Sypaladin,

Seriously, it is you that should grow up mate and put your obvious political bias aside. Women (and men) in ALL sides of politics are as capable of good deeds as they are of evil.

Julie Bishop CHOSE to represent CSR as every lawyer has the choice. The choice she made when further than just her client, she maliciously chose to 'delay delay delay' cases until the claimant died. There is evidence of a lack of judicial integrity and distinct lack of compassion. Julie Bishop did this purely for monetary gain, not for justice. It is well known that Julie Bishop was compensated far better than the going rate of the day, not because she was a particularly good lawyer but because she was one of a few prepared to accept this distasteful business as her client. There were lawyers at the time that chose not to represent CSR in this way. Thanks to her efforts justice was not served for many people and their families.

38. kozzie

4,339 posts.

quality post mazwegian. can only assume you don't have many tu's because the femmies have td'd you. how dare you prefer time with family than climbing the corporate ladder. naughty naughty.

39. kozzie

4,339 posts.

my wife wouldn't know what a budget is. even when told she spends more than i earn. nothing changes. even when shown the fact. nothing changes. goes on to say how so and so has more credit card debt than us so we shouldn't worry. sound familiar.

40. 67shelby

5,968 posts.

MasseyFerguson

"ASX- public listed companies. Nearly all CEOs are male. Why is this ?"

......because women are too honest ?? (cough) LOL

Can't believe SJF started this thread, and then had nothing further to add

....seems odd

Can I just add my 5 cents,

There are smart women,
    There are smart men,
    There are dumb women,
    There are dumb men,
    There are motivated/driven women

....but it seems there are possibly more motivated/driven men.

I don't think this is a battle of the sexes, or a matter of whether men are smarter than women. (Us women already know the answer to that). LOL

The fact is, women are built to breed, and many of us do.
    Of course that will make a difference to the numbers in senior positions.

Starting a family does have an impact on a woman's career.

.....and most mum's will tell you that those precious little offspring ALWAYS come first.

Most women probably are happy just being Mums, with a less stressful career.

I can't believe I just said that....raising children is probably one of THE MOST stressful jobs in the world.

It is also one of the most rewarding IMO.

There are some though, who would like to make their way to the top.

....and some of them do.

Those who don't, probably find it easy to "blame the men" for their shortcomings.

My impression of most women I've met, is that they have no desire to be "high achievers".

In fact, most would rather find a "high achieving male" to marry, so that they can be kept.

....just the way I see it, and I certainly don't live in a corporate world.....just Mrs Average.

41. 67shelby

5,968 posts.

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

^