Yes it was one of the best games of rugby I've ever seen I...

1. 6,270 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2462
    Yes it was one of the best games of rugby I've ever seen I think. A true classic that will be remembered for all the wrong reasons instead of the fact it was a great game.

I think it showed the Wallabies were just starting to come together and find some cohesion, and then McKenzie goes and resigns. Don't get me wrong, he made some bloody stupid decisions and effectively lost the Bledisloe - he had a Tahs backline in fine form fresh off their Super Rugby win, used to playing together, highly effective - and he goes and changes his halves and puts Beale of all people at 10. The Bledisloe was there for the taking this year, and the Wallabies were the better side in the first and third games, but McKenzie lost it.

But at least he corrected that (even if it took him a flogging in NZ to realise what most of us could see was a mistake even before the first game - I had a genuine feeling of cold fear when I saw the team list for the first game) and there were flashes of brilliance in the Wallabies' game at other times over the Rugby Championship. Saturday's game was the first time they'd really come together and got it right. It was just unfortunate they were against the ABs who even when they're being soundly beaten on the field can still pull off incredible counterattacks if given a ghost of a chance. By the end I think the Wallabies were just worn out after playing at such intensity.

And now they have to start from scratch again with a new coach. It's ridiculous. At least Cheika has the right running rugby attitude to carry on McKenzie's legacy, but seriously - it was all just starting to come together and the Wallabies under McKenzie, with Moore, Cooper, Genia and Pocock back in the mix, would have been a real chance at the RWC.

As for Beale, they should just get rid of him IMO. Ultimately it's his continued bad behaviour that directly led to McKenzie's resignation. The Wallabies showed on Saturday they don't need him, and he hasn't impressed in any of the games this RC except one when he came on in the last 15 minutes and made a couple of good breaks.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.