Hmm, I've never been a huge fan of human caused global...

1. 9,046 Posts.
    Hmm, I've never been a huge fan of human caused global warming....too much history says other forces have had an even more profound effect. But the overall picture the OP presents....can't argue much with that. We are having a huge impact....Humour me for a minute and read on. I've always been, a more or less, wildlife conservationist/biologist at heart. My father was a great collector of everything that moved - and growing up we had fish, frogs, snakes, lizards, small to medium mammals around the place. He'd keep them for a while - learn about them - then release them when he thought the time was right. I got into it too in my teens. My father while never attaining any great financial, vocational, or educational heights...was in his way brilliant with nature. He always, constantly expanded his knowledge of life around us. Even now, died a few years ago, he serves as a role model for me and my children in regards to wildlife. I live in the Perth northern suburbs but I do a lot of country driving.....a bit of exploring from time to time....and I can tell you this. Our reptile numbers are dropping.....our amphibian numbers are in serious hurt, and given it is rare now to see anything but Kangaroos....our mammal numbers must be desperate now. It isn't global warming....it's introduced species, loss of habitat, and negligence....especially by state government. They'd rather collect dollars from mining....but can't be bothered to care about the life around us going extinct.
    Not just happening here, when I worked in the US I'd go bush....and I noticed gradual declines there. Amphibians was actually not a gradual decline - they were falling off the perch fast there too. But everything seemed to be dropping off in fewer numbers that I'd observe.
    So, global warming, while a concern - not convinced myself that most, or even much, of it is human induced. But we are impacting our natural world in many other negative ways. Bit sad, no answers from me, I know it's happening - but have no idea how to reverse it. Human expansion will continue, the use of pesticides and herbicides will continue, the pollution of habitats - a given. Another hundred years we may be the only things left besides our agricultural production. Not a world to look forward to...

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.