1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Join HotCopper today

HotCopper is the largest stock market forum in Australia with over 250,000 registered members and more than 6,000 posts per day. Membership is FREE. Join now!

3. There is now a Managed funds topic. Enjoy.
LYC 4.5¢

deutsch bank downgrade

1. kevwr

179 posts.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/wall-street-journal/china-dominates-global-rare-earths-market-accounting-for-nearly-90-per-cent-of-supply/story-fnay3vxj-1226680985040

Not sure if this is old news, how accurate have Deutsche Bank been in the past with their forecasts?

2. NightStalker

5,362 posts.

If Douche Bank are downgrading Lynas, then it must definitely be time to buy...!

3. bsumisu

1,909 posts.

it is old news from days ago

4. Noyrez has stated repeatedly that Phase I is profitable. There are new challenges, but it seems that RE prices are at least firming.

DB also neglects the 15,000 tons of concentrate at Mt. Weld along with the 750,000 ton mountain of ore. The only costs to Lynas going forward are processing and overhead for corporate for the time being.

I think it is timed well and that Lynas will be in full production next year.

They also neglect the net asset value of the mine itself, which is expected to be 25 years production at the 22K Ton nameplate capacity of Gebeng.Of course they do not value Duncan as it is virgin.

Putting out a "sell" recommendation based upon very limited publicly available data just 10 days or so before any announcement is odd. Analysts must be very careful in presenting their data as the exchanges watch them and the trading sides like hawks.

5. NightStalker you are a genius! Buying has commenced.

6. SRV

1,152 posts.

DB have been long term shorters of the stock - for at least a couple of years now - I trust their buy/sell recc'd as far as I could throw Nick Curtis... ;)

7. Dear All,

When you work this out let me know!!!

FNArena quotes DB 16 July 2013

"...2011 prices have disappeared with global economic uncertainty. Lynas is seen in a tough situation with sales uncertainty and possible capital issues ahead of any market recovery.
    Deutsche Bank has lowered earnings forecasts by around 150% from FY14 to FY16 and does not expect Lynas to have positive earnings until FY17.

The rating has been downgraded to Sell from Hold and the price target reduced to 30c from 58c."

JP Morgan reckon the opposite !!!

12 July 2013 "Target $0.60 (was $0.65)... the stock is now ridiculously cheap. Combined with more confidence in the rare earths market, the stock is upgraded to Buy."

8. Jan Johnson

2,364 posts.

Easy Sherlock,
    One lot are short and the others are long.

9. antibotter

4,073 posts.

Sherlock

I stopped taking notice of brokers years ago

WIIFM - what's in it for me - is a current motto which these people live by

That is why it is important to do your own research imo

10. natanna76

928 posts.

DYOR

Or On like Donkey Kong

11. Wazza222

89 posts.

Funny you should think this. I heard of one big broker who conveniently issued a buy recommendation on a stock to its Retail clients while it was busy off loading a line for one of its insto clients at the same time.

12. ML173

4,241 posts.

and now is the time to issue Sell recomendation while recovering their shorted positions. Thats the only way to explain the run on Friday, lol..

Man, talking about professional integrety, and corporate credibility are on sale for a quick buck:)

13. RVR

2,445 posts.

Can we really claim that our market is regulated any better than Third World markets? After watching the manipulation by institutions in Lynas et al over the past couple of years, I suspect not...

14. AGROS

1,103 posts.

broker recommendations never cease to amaze me.

Surly, if it was a recommendation in the best interest of the clients they would not disclose to the public?

the recommendations to the public make me think whether there is a hidden motive behind the recommendation.

That said I always take the contrary to what a broker says unless of course I were paying for their service

15. m1ckster

167 posts.

I agree agros, just look at ncm in the low 9s after broker downgrades to sell fr Jpm,, goldmann, ncm is now in 11-12 range.

Sell from deutsche simply indicates they are closing shorts n assuming a long stance, wise move considering quarterly is not far away and surprise surprise theyve already been tipped off as too the news. Anyone watching the market depth over the past 2 weeks or so , can see that a change is coming:) gl to those with an appetite for risk:)

16. Leeman

972 posts.

Good post Argos,

I feel that brokers are in the same boat as used car salesmen and bankers .

Criminals

17. Can we add Real Estate agents.
    I've heard hardened criminals refuse to be associated with 'em

18. there is a great section on real estate agents in freakonomics (which is an enjoyable read in itself)

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

^