All independent schools must teach the curriculum. And yes, they...

1. 4,702 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 15
    All independent schools must teach the curriculum. And yes, they are inspected by the department of ed at least every 5 years (I work for an independent school).

So long as it's taught properly, I think an understanding of Middle Eastern culture/politics/turmoil is essential today.

In any nightly 30 minute news bulletin, at least 10% (sometimes 80 - 100%) of the news will revolve around Muslim activity. Whilst I firmly believe that parents should always be the primary educators, often parents have no clue.

An understanding of the world today is as vital as knowing science and maths. These kids will all vote one day, so best we make an effort to inform them of the power the wield.

What's needed, is a very well thought out teaching program, complete with history and current affairs. Most addults would not even know the shear number of individual groups operating in Iraq/Syria at the moment (ISIS, YPG, Iraqi military, Al Nusra, Al Qaeda, IDF, Hezbola, Iran backed militia, local tribes, NATO, Jordan, SA, US and its alliances, Turkey, FSA, Assad, UN, and that's probably half).

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.