1. Most Discussed
  2. Gainers & Losers
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Join HotCopper today

HotCopper is the largest stock market forum in Australia with over 250,000 registered members and more than 6,000 posts per day. Membership is FREE. Join now!

daytrading 19 july pre market

1. gttrain

4,642 posts.

Good morning traders.

The local market can look forward to a positive open as US and European markets made healthy gains overnight , ASX SPI + 20.

U.S. stocks rose, sending benchmark indexes to records, as earnings from Morgan Stanley and UnitedHealth Group Inc. beat estimates and jobless claims fell amid testimony from Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke.

Morgan Stanley rallied 4.8 percent as stock-trading revenue bolstered profit. International Business Machines Corp. added 2 percent after raising its full-year earnings target. UnitedHealth jumped 6.7 percent after profit beat estimates as membership surged. Intel Corp. lost 3.7 percent after forecasting third-quarter sales that may fall short of some analysts’ predictions. EBay Inc. (EBAY) tumbled 6.7 percent after its forecast for third-quarter sales missed estimates.

“The underlying concept of what Bernanke is trying to accomplish is taking hold in the marketplace, and that’s a good thing,” Rick Fier, director of equity trading at Conifer Securities LLC in New York, said in an interview. His firm oversees about $8 billion. “The market gets the idea that a tapering is coming, the economy is improving and rates are still going to be low for a time. The initial jobless claims were better than expected. Earnings are coming in OK. All in all it’s hard not to be bullish on the market here.”

DOW +78 pts

SPX + 8

NASDAQ + 1 ( intel and ebay were down)

FTSE +62

DAX +82

Microsoft, which also reported after the markets closed, dropped 4.8 percent as profit missed analysts’ projections after Windows sales were hurt by shrinking demand for personal computers and the company wrote down the value of unsold inventory of its Surface tablet.

Gold added 8 bucks to 1283 but the GDX gold miners index was down 0.40 %

WTI crude + 1.56 …. 108.04 (just keeps going)

Copper flat at 3.13

Good luck .

2. Haplo

3,806 posts.

Morning traders,

Watching today BUL, SXY, MBX and AGO.

SLR – didn’t fall as much as I thought on yesterday’s announcement. I expect it to recover further today.

While on gold, Light Crude Oil was over $108 USD last night. If the oil price continues to increase then we should start hearing further news reports that a higher oil price will lead to higher inflation. That should also help with the recovery of the gold price – just my thoughts of the direction of gold.

SOC and AZS – Assay announcements due any time.

An observation on my watch list notes below. The number of Stoxline: Short –Term Rating (Price& M.Average) “Bearish” stocks have reduced significantly over the last couple of weeks. Certainly highlighting a turnaround in sentiment within the mining spec market.

My watch list spread sheet notes below for those interested. Good luck to everyone today.

3. Trees

20,238 posts.

Morning all

Thanks gttrain and Haplo and many others with the bear at arvo time :-) and dependable Endless

Notice ravgnome scans are getting a bit longer and the thread is getting a little busier.

Some retail growth in the UK, must be the heat :-)
    IO steady again
    Coking coal, I wonder?

Tapis oil higher and US oil over $100

Is inflation hidden but slowly increasing?

The good thing is my LTs are just about all above my average buys and the STs are slowly returning, now to get some time to get a few more DTs.

Trees Trade Mantra omm
    High Income
    Low cost

thanks

4. Trees

20,238 posts.

I should say ericbasar at arvo thread not bear, sorry :-)

Iress is so slow this morning can log in but then just goes to sleep. Wait it just updated yea

NRT is a little today

5. cashngrab

3,342 posts.

6. whatsup

4,216 posts.

oxx

oxxca.

7. Haplo

3,806 posts.

CZN - announcement.

DRILLING INTERSECTS MASSIVE SULPHIDES AT TOP UP RISE
    Highlights:

Massive sulphides, including copper-sulphides, intersected in drilling at Top Up Rise Copper-Gold Project

IP/EM geophysics underway to determine the extents of defined sulphide mineralisation, expected to be completed by early August

Drill hole samples submitted for analysis, results expected in August

Assays returned to date identify a robust base metal signature (Cu-Pb-Zn-Cd-Ag)

Drilling continuing, targeting highest gravity response within project area

8. bayview

176 posts.

Iron ore price rose by US$1.50 to US$131.90 a tonne (A$143.80)

9. marhol

914 posts.

CZN all the directors flew to site a few days ago , why?, to look at core?, must be pretty special.
    Worth a punt

10. TraderRR

4,186 posts.

Mbn strong nickel up again

11. dhinh

213 posts.

Can't day trade without linc

12. marhol

914 posts.

Mirabela Nickel ended 23% up in Toronto last night.
    Looking good.

13. Prepared some notes over on the XJO so carried them over to here -

My geniuses making up the NAAIM Survey put quite a bit of their cash to work this past week so little wonder that this little fourth wave only corrected sideways on the SPX instead of downwards. As mentioned previously, every time my Genius Index gets up to 70 to 80% or higher doesn’t automatically signal a market high but every time we have had an important market high (checked back to 2007) it has been 70 to 80% or higher. This week’s figure went back up to 61.73% from 47.00% the week before so they still have quite a bit of ammunition.

So looks like the SPX is in a little fifth wave. Need to watch how it behaves from here as it has already achieved the minimum needed to satisfy such a count. Will it extend – don’t know.

As well - as far back as when I was still preparing my Ramblings, I had suggested that the period around 23rd July (allow some days either side) was a time zone to watch carefully. I had anticipated it would signal a high in the SPX. Time marches on and we are now just peeping over the wall at this time line so will be on watch for something interesting in the market over the next couple of weeks May still be a high on the SPX as I had anticipated but unfortunately these time lines only indicate a period of interest – be it a high or a low.

Been also looking at the Russell 2000. At the beginning of the year I made it my chart of the year and gave it pride of place on my office wall. It has been fabulous and delivered in spades but wondering if it has had it time in the sun and thinking of finding an alternative for the important wall space. I think it will be a commodity. Would love to make it gold but it needs to convince me a bit more before it can get such an elevation.

14. gttrain

4,642 posts.

DETROIT — Detroit on Thursday became the largest city in U.S. history to file for bankruptcy, as the state-appointed emergency manager filed for Chapter 9 protection.

Geez the once mighty car city has fallen off the cart.

15. oggede

283 posts.

CZN the next SIR?

16. Ben2010

8,476 posts.

Looking for a strong day on PVD again not many sellers left

17. jpsorbara

2,884 posts.

CZN looks good but will need those assays to determine if its SIR-worthy :p

CDY surprised hasn't been mentioned more? Been a nice steady rice over the past week or so...money for jam

18. ericbasar

1,627 posts.

Lol not a problem Trees :)

Interesting day ahead - DOW/S&P500 hit all time high, good over night figures came out overseas.

Can we expect a break and close of 5000 on the All Ords? I think today will be the day. Sick of seeing the sideways movement over the last week to be honest.

19. moiramc

5,310 posts.

MBN gap up 11c ?

20. Has anyone actually read the CZN ann.

2 zones of massive sulphides one 3m and the other 1 m thick dominated by Po.

21. Anybody having power Etrade log in problems?Thanks

22. Lioness

1,181 posts.

Etade Pro all good here

23. FOIL HAT

1,113 posts.

run chrome with adblock plus, free extension.

24. 13nugget

1,503 posts.

morning all,
    search Movers % Gain

have a good day

25. 13nugget

1,503 posts.

search Volume Movers

26. FOIL HAT

1,113 posts.

lol must be coffee time :)........comsec blahhhh

27. Freeway

2,252 posts.

CZN

It could still be something substantial but it may end up being a low grade high tonnage job.

Not really my cup of tea.

Grades will tell the story.

28. pac23

643 posts.

Morning all

Hi Trees
    re coking coal prices, i was having a look at the charts just before logging on here
    http://www.coal-price.net/
    and it looks like nice bounce off these levels occurred last august. Still watching closely & holding BRL as they should be coming into production at the right time.

got some hope for returns today after whn debacle yesterday, nice to see CZN & SFX releasing some +'ive news, azs could be due for more green too

have fun :)

29. foil hat - the only problem is that if we all block the ads then Hot Copper get nothing out of it. That is how we don't have to pay a subscription. Annoying as some of them are, I feel that we really should put up with them. From time to time I click on one just to keep the cash register ticking over.

30. ddzx

20,082 posts.

we read it, Crimsoncarp, which sounds like another ICG

The strong mineralisation only occurs for 2 to 3 meters and its deep

Obviously they dont think much of the rest of the intersection if they made this distinction.

31. 13nugget

1,503 posts.

one more quick search

Spikes up,, minimum ticks up 2 , liquid stock only

32. Endless

16,843 posts.

Gals n guys. The Morning thread is open.

THIS THREAD IS CLOSED.

33. suzie111

728 posts.
  34. FOIL HAT

1,113 posts.

we were talking commsec, i would never block the t shirt girl:)

DISCLAIMER:
Before making any financial decisions based on what you read, always consult an advisor or expert.

The HotCopper website is operated by Report Card Pty Ltd. Any information posted on the website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs and as such, you should before acting on the information or advice, consider the appropriateness of the information or advice in relation to your objectives, financial situation or needs. Please be aware that any information posted on this site should not be considered to be financial product advice.

From time to time comments aimed at manipulating other investors may appear on these forums. Posters may post overly optimistic or pessimistic comments on particular stocks, in an attempt to influence other investors. It is not possible for management to moderate all posts so some misleading and inaccurate posts may still appear on these forums. If you do have serious concerns with a post or posts you should report a Terms of Use Violation (TOU) on the link above. Unless specifically stated persons posting on this site are NOT investment advisors and do NOT hold the necessary licence, or have any formal training, to give investment advice.

^