Court told George Alex makes offers you can’t refuse, on pain of...

1. 18,150 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Court told George Alex makes offers you can’t refuse, on pain of death

GEORGE Alex allegedly wields enough power in the Sydney underworld that people have died “as a result of this man’s influence”, a court has heard.
    Alex, 43, allegedly has enough sway in the construction industry that businesses wanting to expand sought his approval to get backing from unions.
    According to one former business partner, Alex “overpowers” his enemies with “union connections” and “tortures” businesses “financially”.
    The court heard he was bankrupted by the tax office in 2009, but has still run million-dollar tax scams and businesses via a cast of associates — ranging from bikies to his sister Athina Alex.
    A number of his business ventures have been financed by criminals and one was bankrolled by the Rebels bikie gang for $500,000, it was alleged.

‘I ARGUED WITH HIM, THEN MY HOUSE WAS SHOT UP’

GEORGE RAN A DRUG RING, SAYS BIG JIM BYRNES

These are just a few of the key claims directed at Alex’s business empire that emerged in the Federal Court of Australia on March 14 when trustee Pitcher Partners attempted to dissect Alex’s affairs in a bankruptcy examination. The Daily Telegraph can only now reveal details of the hearings because witnesses were so fearful of Alex they asked for a non-publication order on their identities and evidence.
    Justice Bernard Murphy lifted the suppression order yesterday.
    Douglas Westerway, a former director of Alex’s Elite Access Scaffolding company, told the court: “There are dead people in this organisation as a result of this man’s influence, and I do fear for my safety.”

Big Jim Byrnes.

Another of the witnesses was jailed former cage-fighter Jimmy Kendrovski, who this month cited his family’s safety before the royal commission into union corruption he when refused to answer any questions on whether he witnessed Alex or his late business partner Joe Antoun give cash to Construction Forestry Mining and Energy Union officials to buy influence.

More here........

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...on-pain-of-death/story-fni0cx12-1227060850651

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.