The penalty for being frugal. We've been wise with our money...

1. 9,541 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 329
    The penalty for being frugal.
    We've been wise with our money (debatable) by not spending more than we earned during our working lives. However there are huge sacrifices we made along the way. We didn't have the lavish holidays, we didn't smoke, we didn't drink, we didn't get all the mod-cons most people now consider mandatory, if not essential. I have friends who spent most of their income, have little savings, have small super accounts. I on the other hand have a built a reasonable super account and savings and can live on the income derived from these (without welfare), but it is only marginally above the pension. So now comes the point those who have spent most of their income over a lifetime of work (having a great time) will be entitled to a pension, I who have saved over a lifetime of work will at best get part pension? To me this drives the wrong behaviour from day one and those who have looked after themselves in a financial sense get penalised whilst those who spent up big get welfare. This is a systemic issue driven by the consumption of things that are not essential. I feel like a 5 year world cruize just about now!

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.