Child sex abuse inquiry: 'Bully' Cardinal George Pell...

1. 33,065 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 9
    Child sex abuse inquiry: 'Bully' Cardinal George Pell complicated royal commission case with nonsense, David Risdale says

By David Mark
    Updated about an hour ago
    PHOTO: David Ridsdale says Cardinal George Pell tried to buy his silence after he told Pell he had been abused by his uncle, Gerald Ridsdale. (ABC News)
    RELATED STORY: Pell denies offering bribe to paedophile priest's victim
    RELATED STORY: Pell urged to front commission in wake of bribe denial
    MAP: Ballarat 3350
    A man who was sexually abused by his Catholic priest uncle in Ballarat in the 1970s has accused Cardinal George Pell of being a "bully".
    This week David Ridsdale told the Royal Commission into Institutionalised Sexual AbuseCardinal Pell had tried to buy his silence when he told him he had been abused by his uncle, notorious paedophile priest Gerald Ridsdale.
    "If he'd just said he didn't remember it might have been one thing, but he chose to add layers of nonsense," David Ridsdale told 7.30 after appearing at the Royal Commission yesterday.
    "I told George that I had been abused by Gerald.
    Child abuse survivors share stories

Ballarat child abuse victims share their horrific accounts from the sex abuse "hotspot" and call for recognition, justice and a national scheme to support survivors.
    "George then began to talk about my growing family and my need to take care of their needs. He mentioned how I would soon have to buy a car or house for my family.
    "I remember saying to both my sisters, 'the bastard just tried to bribe me'".
    After giving evidence Mr Ridsdale told 7.30 Cardinal Pell was "a bully, a bully is what he is".
    "They thought they could bully me. And so many men have lost their lives because of their inaction," he said.
    Cardinal Pell has rejected Mr Ridsdale's allegations under oath and publicly on a number of occasions, and repeated his denial again this week after Mr Ridsdale's testimony.
    "I was and remain extremely sympathetic to David Ridsdale who, because of his uncle, suffered horrible abuse," Cardinal Pell said in a statement.
    "I continue to regret the misunderstanding between us.
    "At no time did I attempt to bribe David Ridsdale or his family or offer any financial inducements for him to be silent. At the time of our discussion the police were already aware of allegations against Gerald Ridsdale and were investigating.
    "Then, and now, I supported these police investigations. I have previously made a sworn denial of these allegations and I reiterate that denial."
    Do you know more about this story? Email [email protected]
    The man at the centre of the allegations, Gerald Ridsdale, is due to appear before the Commission next week.
    Media player: "Space" to play, "M" to mute, "left" and "right" to seek.

VIDEO: Allegations against Cardinal George Pell continue to mount at child abuse Royal Commission (7.30)
    David Ridsdale said he hoped his uncle would be able to shed light on the role of the Catholic Church and its hierarchy.
    "All I want him to do is explain to us all when the church knew, I am not interested in him giving rationales," Mr Ridsdale told 7.30.
    "He's not going to be allowed to talk about the offences, which I am happy with.
    "I want him to be honest about when the people in charge of him knew.
    "Ideally I'd like him to point out which other priests knew and were aware. I would pray that he'd be honest."
    More on this story:

From other news sites:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-...use-victim-says-pell-complicated-case/6488262

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.