Herbalist "Listening to the three guitarists now. rare to see...

1. 17,482 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    Herbalist

"Listening to the three guitarists now. rare to see technicality combined with such lyricalness if you know what i mean"

I know exactly what you mean and I dislike it as well, it bores the crap out of me when somebody plays something flat out just because they can and loses all sense of the melody or some musical direction.

I much prefer the lyrical over the very technical but when it is done in the right amounts it is very good.
    I use to play some Gypsy Jazz but that to me is like the European blue grass, often played flat out just to impress and it bores the crap out of me quickly. I listen to some Django Reinhardt from time to time and he is much better when he plays with Stephen Grapelli.
    Django goes a bit too far and destroys the lyrical intention of the song but then Grapelli gives him a bitch slappin with some wonderful violin control and turns Django back to the original phrasing of the song.
    Very good together.
    Django is pretty good for a guy with only two (or is it three) fingers on the fretting hand.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.